- You can curse the darkness, or you can light a candle and show up as a leader. Life is all about how you exercise the choices available to you.
- The way you do the little things says a lot about the way you will do the big things.
- Sometimes discouragement sets in . Happens to all of us. We try hard, stay true to our dreams and pursue our ideals. Yet nothing happens. Or so it seems. But every choice matters. And every step counts. Life runs according to its own agenda , not our's. Be patient. Trust. Be like the stonecutter, steadily chipping away, day after day. Eventually, a single blow will crack the stone and reveal the diamond. An enthusiastic, dedicated person who is ridiculously good at what they do just cannot be denied. Seriously.
- Have the discipline to do whatever it takes to make the idea a reality. Because nothing happens until you move.
- The lust for comfort murders the passion of the soul.
- Remember, the critics have always laughed at the visions of bold thinkers and remarkable visionaries. Ignore them.
- We all want to be appreciated by our peers and revered by the tribe. But leadership is about a lot more than trying to look good in the eyes of others. Its about being BIW (Best in the World) at what you do. Its about leaving people better than you found them. And its about not worrying who gets the credit for a job well done.
Friday, February 26, 2010
Tuesday, February 23, 2010
- My Civil Services Interview questions -
First Interview - 3rd April 2008 – Purushottam Aggarwal’s Board
- You are from Sociology Deptt of Lucknow University. Name 4-5 Sociologists from your deptt. Who have earned a big name in Sociology.
- Why do parochial identities predominate in Indian society ?
- Tell us about Sociology of Uttar Pradesh.
- Tell us some famous statement of D.P.Mukherjee.
- If I give you Rs. 100 , what proportion of this fund will you spend in maintaining relations with which group of countries ? Don’t give the approximate %, give the exact categorization.
- If regional peace is important for you, then will you be able to reduce the defence expenditure of
do not remove their army from the borders, will you ask your army to come back ? Pakistan
- Why do violence and agitations take place like – strike in universities, factories, offices etc. ?
- The Police always complains that it do not have operational autonomy and for every small thing , SP has to take the permission of DM. Where , in your opinion, should the police power reside – in hands of SP or DM ?
- Should we scrap the sports budget altogether ?
- You are a 100m sprinter. Tell me your 100m timmings. What is the distance of your triple jump and shot put ?
- What is the role of media in promoting sports , esp. cricket ?
- Comment on NREGA. What kind of employment does it provide ?
- Compare between
Indiaand . China
My Score : 80/300
Second Interview – 24th March 2009 – K.Roy Paul’s Board
- How much do your friends from other religion know about your religion ?
- Sikh population in
- Reason behind Babri Masjid Demolition.
- Why Ayodhaya is considered as the sacred place for Hindus ?
- Agriculture , Rivers and mineral resources in UP.
- Give a specialist answer – What do you mean by INDIAN SOCIETY ?
- Name few Indian Sociologists.
- What do you know about M.N.Srinivas and his contributons ?
- What are the social indicators you can derive from Census ?
- Have you travelled to other parts of
Indiaapart from Delhiand ? Lucknow
- Name the cities in
whose names have been changed . India
- What do you know about Gandhara art ?
- Tell us something about Chola Dynasty.
- What would be the first thing that you would do after becoming an administrator ? Give your spontaneous answer.
- Do you have the habit of reading ? What kind of books do you read ?
- Towards the end, the Chairman asked, since when and where have you been residing in
My score : 114/300
Education is the cornerstone of any civilized society. I am worried at the fact that even after the completion of six decades of
There are certain problems in Education in
- Teacher Competency
- Content and Process of Education
- Quality of Education
- Lack of Retention
- Lack of Vocationalisation of Secondary Education
- Linguistic barrier for Tribals
- Lack of uniformity of syllabus
- Huge vacancies in Teaching Posts
- CBSE,ICSE vs State Boards
- Expenditure on Education (as % of GDP)
- Cramming without understanding
- Stress without desired outcome
- Teaching without purpose and commitment
- Education without creativity and knowledge
The point here is that we have not been able to bring about uniformity vis-à-vis syllabus and teaching standards across the country. In yesterday’s programme on All India Radio, a caller from Sonebhadra district said that she had her schooling at her place. Now, when she has come to
Our attempt , while bringing about the reform in the Indian Education system, should be to eliminate this discrimation between the privileged, not so privileged and under privileged.
My own experience in
Suddenly, the Professor stopped and stared at me. Maybe because, I was the only one sitting upright while the other English medium students had bent their heads down. There came the comment from the Professor, “Sardarji, why aren’t you writing anything ? What is the problem with you ?”. That was really embarrassing. In that tight packed class of some 150 students, I said “Sir, I am from English medium and I need the notes in English”. The professor got angry and shouted back at me saying that he will give the dictation only in hindi and since I have grown up, I should translate that into English and take down the notes. I wasn’t a master of English Literature and I couldn’t do it. That was my last History class.
I just want to drive the point back home that the problem in the education system is more than it appear to be. It was not only me who suffered but all the other English medium souls who suffered silently. I understand that we cannot have two different classes , one for hindi and another for English medium candidates. But certainly, we can have a bilingual class. But for that, the teacher / professor should be well equipped, equally proficient in both the languages. Now, here comes the question of quality of education.
The issues of Equality and Quality in Education needs to be addressed.
Here, I would like to suggest some reforms which we should bring about in our Indian Education System :
- Learning to be child friendly free of fear and trauma.
- Respecting the mother tongue of the child. (I favour education in mother tongue atleast till VIII standard but thereafter, English should be made compulsory)
- Abolition of Physical Punishment
- Ban on private tuitions by teachers
- Questioning should be encouraged
- Team work and community spirit should be applauded
- Encourage sports and Physical Education
In Higher Education :
- Introduce semester system
- Continous internal evaluation
- Abolish affiliating college system
- Set a target for about 2500 university level institutions by 2020
The emphasis should be laid upon developing certain higher order skills amongst the children , viz. :
- Critical analysis
- Problem solving
- Decision making
- Team work
Infact, CBSE has already introduced the concept of ‘HOTS’ – Higher Order Thinking Skills, that lays emphasis on synthesis of knowledge.
Also, focus upon bringing about public-private partnership in the field of education.
PPP -> Better quality of education -> Converts Brain drain to Brain Gain
I am hopeful that in the coming years, the reforms initiated by Sibal and Co. would bear sweet fruits. But there is a word of caution. BE CLEAR ABOUT THE KIND OF CHANGES THAT YOU WANT TO BRING IN THE SYSTEM. Because, CLARITY PRECEDES SUCCESS.
Friday, February 19, 2010
Monday, February 8, 2010
Friday, February 5, 2010
But, time and again, the regional identities have echoed their voices and have threatened and intimidated the unity of the country with their secessionist claims. The call for separate states in the country is the case in point. Today, we have plethora of voices coming from different parts of country viz. Telangana (Andhra Pradesh), Vidarbha ( Maharashtra), Saurashtra (Gujarat), Maru Pradesh (Rajasthan), Harit Pradesh (UP), Bundelkhand (UP), Poorvanchal (UP), Mithilanchal (Bihar), Gorkhaland (W.Bengal), Bodoland (
The regional developmental imbalances , lack of opportunities, abject living conditions etc. are given as the varied reasons behind such voices.But I fail to understand that why no one talks about political opportunism being one of the important reason. The region of Vidarbha in
The Thackreys in
Long live Indian Unity !!